The gateway contains the Kerlink OS called KerOS, and on top of that the Helium software (composed of an
Erlang runtime package and the Miner for the full miner, or the Light Miner package).
The software is automatically and remotely managed, it is not user serviceable. You don't need to worry
- The LoRa radio is constantly listening to nearby packets and sends them to the Helium
network in two ways: either it's a paid packet, and your miner will try to sell it and get paid for
it; or it's a beacon transmitted by another miner, in which case your miner will try to know who
challenged it, try to contact it (and hope it's not relayed!) to tell it "I saw this beacon". Later,
a validator will process the transaction sent by the challenger and all parties will get rewards.
- In parallel, the miner may receive a challenge over the gRPC connection to its validator, and send a
beacon to the LoRa radio. Any nearby miner may receive it and process it (see bullet 1).
Sources of information
Helium Explorer is an immensely useful tool to self-diagnose and troubleshoot your miner.
You may use:
Helium Explorer for...
- Beacons: see if you get challenged and witnessed challenges
- All activity: see more detailed beacons information
- Rewards: rolling 24h, 7d and 30d windows
- Rewards: see individual reward transactions
This onboarding dashboard for...
- The last time the miner was seen alive
- The current validator information
- The latest radio/PoC diagnostic
- Any other online tool may be also as reliable as this dashboard or explorer. They are very good
third party tools that can provide useful insights.
- You don't need to check for port 44158, relay, ping or any other connection. Your miner connects to
a validator over a gRPC link, and it is not testable from the outside.
Check the following on your dashboard (enter your public key
- all values are updated every 15 minutes, so you should be able to have data less than 15 min old
- Connectivity must show a recent date
- Software versions is informative only, you don't need to worry about it
OK, now when is it time to worry or relax? 🙂
😎 Relax even if...
- Rewards change a lot from one day to another
- My miner "flatlined" for a couple of hours
- I have no witness in a couple of hours
- I have no beacons in a few of days
😱 Get help if...️
- I have about 10 miners around me, and I have zero witnesses in over 24 hours
- I have not sent a single beacon in over 7 days
If you fall in the 😎 list, please refrain from asking for support. You are obviously still free to
do so, but the likelihood of your problem being solved by itself in a few hours is very high; your
problem might be solved before anyone from support may even have time to look into it.
If you fall in the 😱 list, please contact your reseller for support.